Monday, July 21, 2008

Words of wisdom to a friend about M.A.R.R.I.A.G.E

A friend of mine wrote in her "secret" blog:

Do not get me wrong. I am not against marriage. I do want to get married. I do want to have a family of my own. It’s just that I do not want to be forced into it. I don’t want to get married because I am 20 something old. I don’t want to get married because it’s my turn in my family. I don’t want to get married because my friends are doing so. I don’t want to get married because it would make my parents happy.

I want to get married because nothing else would make my life happier. I want to get married because I have found the father to my kids. I want to get married because I’m blindly in love. (note:blindly) I still think you have to be blinded by something to be married.


Ahh, perfection! Don't we all love to dream! Marriage itself won't make anyone happier - if you're not already as happy as you can when you're around the other person, a marriage certificate won't add to that happiness. Not to mention you should have probably gotten out of that relationship a long time ago. I'm sure Jessica Simpson and the rest were "blindly in love" when they got married and look how well things turned out for them. If you love the other person and the other person loves you back, it's about as good as it gets. You're better off reaching the "blindly" level as the marriage progresses than you are having it when you get married.

The hardest thing in life is finding "the father to my kids". I've know total losers who turned out to be the best dads out there. I've known good, smart people who were great dads but once "fortune and fame" got to them, they became shitty ass parents. I wanted to find the mother to my kids, so luckily my wife's older sister had already a daughter. I went babysitting with my wife a couple of times and loved what I saw. I would recommend you do something similar.

No comments: