Sunday, July 27, 2008

This weekend sucked

It started as early as Thursday night, see my previous post. I've tried previously to apply Service Pack 1 (SP1) to my Vista laptop, but it failed - didn't investigate why, I was happy it rolled back and I was able to continue working. Well, Friday I tried again, this time downloading the SP1 file from Microsoft. Same result, unfortunately. This time I investigated and found out that the file the SP was trying to overwrite was corrupted (and locked I guess), so the update failed. I tried the restore feature, but this time, the laptop had different plans and I was out of luck...

So, had no choice but to reformat and re-setup everything from scratch. That took all night Friday, all day Saturday and a couple of hours Sunday. Let's just say I have a lot of software that I use and each has updates and service packs and security updates, etc. I feel exhausted! But, it's actually not a bad idea to reformat and re-setup everything about every 2 years or so, since computers do become slow over time as additional updates and new releases are being applied. It just so happens that my laptop turned 2 years old in May.

No comments: